Dr. John P. Rosa, opioid crisis expert, author and dynamic speaker highlights statistics that shed light on the ever-growing suffering attributed to anxiety, depression, and addiction, and how not only the pandemic has contributed but how technology is having a huge influence as well.
ROCKVILLE, MD. August 31 , 2022: Dr. John Rosa, dynamic speaker, national opioid crises expert, and co-author of The Recipe for Success with Jack Canfield, posted a new article on his website entitled “Look To Chiropractic Care To Lead The Way Out Of Addiction And Mental Illness.” Dr. Rosa begins the first in an ongoing series of articles showing how and why anxiety, depression, and addiction have accelerated over the past 30 years and how chiropractic care can play an important role in stopping the growth.
Dr. Rosa writes, “Anxiety, depression, addiction: All of these mental health issues have skyrocketed since 1990.” He continues, “According to one source, “In 2020, The Journal of Psychiatric Research outlined unprecedented changes in the global burden of depression, stating that from 1990 to 2017 the incident cases worldwide amplified from 172 million to 258 million, representing an increase of 49.8%. The American Psychological Association published that the rate of depression in U.S. adolescents aged 12-17 increased 52% just between the years 2005 to 2017 and between 2009 to 2017, there was a 63% increase in depression seen in young adults aged 18-25.”
Dr. Rosa makes a point of acknowledging that the mentioned mental illnesses are “not just in your head.” He then poses, “So, you may wonder, how can chiropractic care help with mental/psychological issues? For starters, the issues of anxiety, depression, and addiction, while considered by many as purely psychological, have very real physical pains associated with them.” As Dr. Rosa notes, “For many opioid dependent people, their dependency came about because of a physical issue, typically, an accident or back pain. Anxiety and depression, both can manifest as physical pain.”
Referencing a mention in the first paragraph, Dr. Rosa writes, “As mentioned in the same article cited above, “Chiropractic care influences the neuromusculoskeletal system to optimize function and reduce joint pain that may accompany depression. A 2020 literature search outlined in Acta Biomedica, concluded that chiropractic and spinal manipulative therapies along with vagal nerve stimulation may be regarded as care options for depression. Several scientific studies have concluded that chiropractic adjustments can increase hormones like oxytocin which aid in feelings of connectedness while also modulating pain.”
According to Dr. Rosa, “It is becoming more widely known and accepted that through chiropractic care, “Maximizing joint function can also affect other physical symptoms such as headaches, muscle pain, balance issues or dizziness. Physiotherapy to relax musculature is available in most chiropractors’ offices to reduce muscle spasm and promote relaxation.”
Read the entire article at: link here
About John P. Rosa
Dr. John Rosa owns and supervises ABC Management, which is comprised of 21 integrative health clinics in Maryland and Virginia that sees over 60,000 patient visits per year. ABC Clinics combine medicine, chiropractic, physical therapy, acupuncture, and behavioral medicine to give a comprehensive multidisciplinary approach to pain syndromes and musculoskeletal disorders. Active in sports medicine with consulting/treating college, professional and Olympic athletes. Founder of Accessible Wellness Solutions – an onsite corporate wellness program offering consulting, lectures and management of onsite clinics.
- Northeast College of Health Sciences – DC 1992
- Rutgers University – BS 1989
Integrative Medicine Specialist:
- Current Board Chair to Maryland University of Integrative Health
- Trustee of Northeast College of Health Sciences for over 15 years serving final 3-year term as Chairman of the Board and given the honor or Board Emeritus post service.
- Consultant on Integrative Medicine to hospital cancer center
- Reduced opioid prescriptions up to 70% by integrating Chiropractic, physical therapy and behavioral medicine in a primary care setting
- Expert/Speaker – Educating medical community on the Integrative Medicine approach to treating pain
- Executive Medical Director – Nu-Life Solutions – maker of a neuromodulation devise to treat pain, anxiety, depression, sleeplessness and withdrawals form opioid addiction
- Medical Advisor – Outreach Recovery – a group of expert clinicians and health care professionals who specialize in substance abuse and drug addiction treatment, mental health counseling, and psychiatric management. Largest addiction treatment group in the Mid-Atlantic region
- Chief Science Officer – Get A-Head – a SaaS platform company that provides a telehealth application in training and delivery of mental health care while incorporating cutting-edge AI technologies
Opioid Crisis Expert:
- White House Surrogate/Consultant
- Law Enforcement Consultant (Homeland Security, CBP, DOJ, DEA, FDA, FBI and U.S. Postal)
- State, National, and International Consultant to Opioid Task Forces
- Corporate and professional organization consultant
- Currently working on PSA music and cinema projects with the Russo Brothers (directors/producers of the Marvel Avenger films)
Current Research and Publications:
- New-Life Solutions – Research medical director for “The H.O.P.E. Initiative for Addiction”
- Italian Chiropractic Association – Member of the Scientific Research Committee
- Journal of Manipulative and Physiological Therapeutics
- “Changes in Opioid Therapy Use by an Interprofessional Primary Care Team: A Descriptive Study of Opioid Prescription Data” by John Rosa, DC and Jeanmarie R. Burke, PhD
- Published: April 17, 2021
- Founder of “Overdose Free America” a nonprofit which uses the power of celebrity and entertainment to bring the Opioid Crisis the visibility and support it deserves
- Lectures to community, corporations, universities and medical community on the opioid and mental health crises have reached over 100,000 people.
- Production of “BACKBONE” The story of proactive healthcare vs. reactive disease care that was focused on our active and retired military. A documentary by Wellbeing Films
- Co-Producer of “It’s Happening Right Here” The story of how sex trafficking has infiltrated our country with almost no public awareness
- Volunteer at Crossroads Freedom Center – a residential facility in Maryland to help overcome addiction
- Board member – #Same Here Global Mental Health Movement – 501c3 dedicated to delivering resources and programing on better ways to treat mental health other then medication